DRFC 73 - 17 Columbia

Randall’s Island, NY- Dartmouth faced off against Columbia this weekend as Dartmouth looked to go 5-0 in the Ivy League and Columbia looked for its first win.

When asked about the game, Captain Hayden Aldredge stated, “It was cold and bleak, incompetent” ref hurt us, but we persevered.”

Dartmouth made the long trip down to Columbia and played in a rare nighttime game against the Lions. After an exhausting trip, Dartmouth came out a little slow. A try from Struan Coleman got Dartmouth on the board but a missed conversion held the Big Green to 5-0. Columbia responded a couple minutes later and put a try of their own under the posts and took the lead 7-5 just 9 minutes into the game. For the first time all season, Dartmouth trailed its opponent, but the Big Green was determined to reclaim the lead. A Columbia lineout overthrow led to some great ball movement from Dartmouth and a fantastic run from freshman Luke Bienstock who put one down in the corner putting Dartmouth up 12-7. A couple minutes later, Gordon Driscoll scooped up a loose ball and hit winger Julien Johnson for Dartmouth’s third try of the game and extended the lead to 17-7. Luke Beinstock got his second try of the game just after giving Dartmouth a 22-7 lead. After a few scoreless minutes, Dawit Workie stepped some flatfooted defenders and gave Dartmouth another try and a 27-7 lead. The big men were determined to get some action, and a great run from Fuller Winton led to another Dartmouth try as the Big Green went up 32-7. Just before halftime Julien Johnson scored his second try of the game, but a missed conversion kick left Dartmouth with a 37-7 lead.

The second half started off well for Dartmouth as the Big Green strung a number of great passes together and Fuller Winton put one down in the try zone for his second try of the game and helped to extend the lead to 44-7. On the next Dartmouth possession, Hayden Aldredge used some great hands to win a lineout and dish the ball to Jack Badenhausen, who put one down and gave Dartmouth another 7 as the Big Green went up 51-7. An unfortunate call from the ref led to a Dartmouth yellow card, but that didn’t stop the Dartmouth ruggers as a meaty Steven Hinshaw barreled through a number of defenders giving Dartmouth another try and 56-7 lead. Frustrated with their poor performance, a couple Columbia players let some fists fly; however it was Dartmouth who received another yellow card for talking back to the rather incompetent ref. Peter Badenhausen sent a message and put another try down in the corner as Dartmouth went up 61-7. Columbia responded with a couple tries of its own, however a great step from Dawit Workie extended the Dartmouth lead to 66-17. Just before the half expired Jesse Brown sealed the game as he danced into the try zone and gave Dartmouth a final score of 73-17.

It was a long day for Dartmouth, but the men came out on top and moved to 5-0 as Columbia remains winless at 0-4. Dartmouth will face off against Cornell next weekend in Hanover for Dartmouth’s homecoming