DRFC 61 - 3 Yale

This past weekend marked a special celebration for the Dartmouth Rugby Football Club, as the members of the two championship Collegiate Rugby Championship (CRC) teams of 2011 and 2012 were honored for their induction to the Wearers of the Green. The weekend’s festivities commenced with the DRFC’s homecoming match against Yale, where Dartmouth emerged victorious, by a score of 61 - 3, extending its Ivy League record to 5 - 0. The crowd cheering on the Dartmouth team facing Yale was complete with DRFC alumni, old and new, who returned to campus for the homecoming celebration, including the members of the victorious 2011 and 2012 CRC teams, who were honored during halftime.
In the opening minutes of the game, a strong Dartmouth maul, inside Yale’s red zone resulted in a successful Patrick Sheehy’20 penalty conversion. After exchanging possession a few times, Dartmouth conceded a penalty in a lineout, just outside its 22-meter line. Yale successfully converted the penalty, tying the game at 3 - 3, but those would turn out to be Yale’s only points of the match. The exchange of penalties continued, shortly after that, as Sheehy netted another penalty, following a Dartmouth scrum, to put the Big Green up 6 - 3. A few moments later, a Dartmouth scrum led to a Sheehy kick across the field to Jack Badenhausen’19, who leaped over a Yale defender to make a catch in the try zone and dot the ball down for Dartmouth’s first try of the game. Sheehy, who continued to kick well, was successful on the conversion from the corner, resulting in a 13 - 3 Dartmouth lead. The next several minutes of play took place in Yale’s half of the field, where Dartmouth saw multiple scoring chances. The Big Green was awarded a penalty on the Yale 5 meter line, which co-captain Steve Hinshaw'18 punched in for a try, followed by another Sheehy conversion. Play transitioned to Dartmouth’s half of the field following the restart, until co-captain Ollie Engelhart took advantage of a dropped Yale pass, kicking and chasing from Dartmouth’s 22-meter line all the way to inside Yale’s 5-meter line. Two passes later, Mason Koch’20 was in under the posts, the Sheehy conversion extending Dartmouth’s lead to 27 - 3. Dartmouth would put up one more try before the end of the half after the Big Green took the ball from a lineout and moved the ball across the field to Jack Badenhausen, who ran nearly 40 meters for his second try.
During halftime, the newly inducted Wearers of the Green were honored for their accomplishments and welcomed the current team back on to the field for the second half. Badenhausen would open the scoring in the second half, completing his hat-trick by returning a kick more than halfway across the field, making the score 37 - 3. Dartmouth continued to force play into Yale’s half of the field, and as Yale attempted to move the ball wide, Julien Johnson’18 intercepted a pass and took it in for five more. Dartmouth retained position following the restart and quickly moved the ball out wide following a lineup in Yale’s red zone. Luke Bienstock’19 would power through the Yale defensive line for a try, Dartmouth leading 49 - 3 after the Sheehy conversion. Captain Benji Hannam’18 would score the next, and final, two tries for Dartmouth, extending the lead to 61 - 3. Dartmouth found themselves in their defensive half of the field for the final minutes of play. As Yale approached the try line and came within what seemed like inches of scoring, the Dartmouth defense remained resilient, until finally, Yale conceded a penalty and the final whistle was blown, Dartmouth winning by a final score of 61 - 3.