DRFC 81 - 15 Cornell

This past Saturday the Dartmouth Rugby Football Club began Ivy League play with an 81 - 15 win on the road against Cornell. Cornell, however, started off strong, converting on its second penalty opportunity of the match to take a quick 3 - 0 lead. Dartmouth came back firing, as wing Gyorgy Brenov’20 touched down a try in the corner to give the Big Green a 5 - 3 lead. Fly half Patrick Sheehy’20 converted the try, a feat he consistently nailed throughout the day, his first of his eight successful conversions, to bring the Big Green to a 7 - 3 lead. From this point on, Dartmouth never looked back. Immediately following the restart, a strong scrum by Dartmouth lead to a Benji Hannam’18 try and a 14 - 3 lead. A barrage of Big Green scoring would ensue, created by strong running and good hands on attack. Captain Benji Hannam played wonderfully, leading the team with four tries. Minutes later, wing Chris Nkoy’18 made a tremendous individual effort, returning a kick 70 meters for a try, weaving in and out of defenders on his way toward the try zone. Tough running by Luke Bienstock’20 would lead to an Ollie Engelhart’18 try, his first of two on the day, and a 26 - 3 Dartmouth lead. Another Hannam try would follow and a Bienstock try would conclude Dartmouth’s first half scoring efforts, sending the DRFC to halftime with a 38 - 3 lead.

Dartmouth’s domination continued into the second half, with more tries from Engelhart, Hannam, and Bienstock, surging the Big Green lead to 64 - 3. As Dartmouth's lead increased, substitutes began to come on, which included several DRFC underclassmen who were able to make positive contributions on the field, including great physicality by freshman Andrew Skow’21 and a long run by Sumner Erbe’20, which would set up an Andrew Robinson’19 try and a score of 81 - 3 going into the final minutes of play. Cornell would conclude scoring plays for the match, with a controversial penalty try that sent Struan Coleman’19 to the sin bin with a yellow card and an impressive chip and chase effort by Cornell’s fly half. When all was said and done the Big Green walked out of Ithaca with an 81 - 15 victory and an Ivy League record of 1 - 0.