DRFC 53 - 12 Harvard

The Dartmouth Rugby Football Club contested in their first home Ivy League game this past weekend, beating Harvard 53 - 12 to extend their Ivy League record to 2 - 0. Dartmouth came out firing, with a try from captain Benji Hannam’18 in the first minutes of play, and another from Hannam not long after, off an athletic offload from wing, Andrew Robinson’19, to put Dartmouth up 14 - 0 early. Harvard would battle back, scoring a try after several phases of play in the Big Green red zone to make the score 14 - 5. Dartmouth, however, would win the ensuing restart, and retained position for quite some time, until finally, Harvard let up a penalty and fly half Patrick Sheehy’20 slotted his first of two 40-meter penalties that half. Later in the first half, an impressive Luke Bienstock’20 run would result in another Coleman try and Hannam would complete the hat trick, dotting the ball down after a Big Green maul forced its way across the Cornell red zone. Dartmouth continued to dominate possession throughout the final minutes of the first half, but came up short of a few scoring chances. Still, the DRFC headed into the locker room at the end of the half with a comfortable 27 - 5 lead.

The beginning of the second half presented some troubles for the Big Green, as Harvard scored about five minutes into the half, cutting the Dartmouth lead to 27 - 12. Dartmouth committed several penalties, which eventually sent Ian Sullivan’18 to the sin bin with a yellow card, and Dartmouth found themselves on the defensive side of play. Nonetheless, the Big Green defense remained unyielding throughout the duration of the sin bin, preventing the conversion of multiple scoring opportunities for Harvard. Following the sin bin, Dartmouth went back to work with a third Sheehy penalty conversion and an impressive team try off the restart, beginning with shifty running by Struan Coleman, followed by seven offloads from five different players, and finishing with a try for DRFC president Andy Werchniak’18, in his first start since a torn ACL injury over a year ago. Only minutes later a Dartmouth scrum would result in another terrific display of team rugby and a second Coleman try.  Possession was exchanged back and forth in the final minutes of play with both teams seeing scoring opportunities, until Hannam scored his fourth try of the day, giving Dartmouth a 53 - 12 lead, which would remain until the final whistle. Dartmouth are 2 - 0 in the Ivy League and travel to Penn this weekend for their third Ivy League match.