Big Green falls to Penn State 23-18

This week the Big Green took on Penn State, a top seven D1A team. Right out of the gate, both sides put up a terrific defensive display. However, Penn state was able to break the silence off by forcing a turnover in the Big Green’s 22 during an exit attempt. The conversion was no good. Shortly Penn State was able to tack on another 3 points off a penalty in the Dartmouth 22. The score was now 8 – 0.  Off of a Penn State penalty, Co-Captain Patrick Sheehy ’20 succeeds in slotting a penalty kick through the uprights to give Dartmouth their first 3 points of the match. The Big Green put up a tremendous defensive stand prior to the close of the second half. Malcom Robinson ’21 made a strong tackle, which led to an interception from first year Mattias Calvo. The second half closed 8 – 3. 

Dartmouth struck first in the second half with Sheehy ‘20 nailing a deep kick off of another penalty, making the score 8 – 6. Penn state responded with a try off a maul in the Big Green’s twenty-two followed by a drop goal, lengthening their lead. The score was now 18 – 6.  However, the Big Green was able to answer with a try of the own dotted down by sophomore Mike Weir who demonstrated brilliant footwork as he cut through the Penn State line for Dartmouth’s first try of the match making the score 18 - 12. His try was quickly followed by a try 8-man Charlton McArdle ‘21, who after picking the ball from the scrum shook two defenders and scored. The score was now tied 18 – 18 with 10 minutes to go. Despite playing a good portion of the last ten minute in Penn State territory, just before the end of the second half, Penn State succeeded in making a line break off of a lineout. The final score read 23 – 18. Well done both teams. 

In their performance against Penn State Dartmouth displayed a terrific display of both offense and defense. Despite an unfavorable outcome, they demonstrated an ability to compete with one of the best teams in the nation. 

The following day, the Gig Green played their first Ivy league game against UPenn. Dartmouth struck first with winger Timothy Gerber ’21 scoring a try after a brilliant run of the sideline. The score was 5 – 0. The boys did a strong job of playing territory rugby with most of their rugby played in UPenn’s half. This tactic paid off when first year Nico Zarramera ’23 picked the ball from the scrum and dotted down Dartmouth’s second try of the match. Jack Wagner ’22 slotted the conversion, giving Dartmouth the lead 12 – 0. While Dartmouth had the lead, it was short lived. UPenn was able to score two tries before the close of the first half making the score 12 – 10. 

The Big Green answered in the second half, with scrumhalf Jarett Lewis ‘21 scoring first. Wagner again slotted the conversion stretching Dartmouth’s lead. The score was now 19 -10. Dartmouth began to take control of the game in the second half. Shayne Miller ’22 scored next off a brilliant line that cut through UPenn’s defense for a try right under the sticks. Badenhausen tacked two more points on with a well struck conversion, 26 – 10. Towards the end of the second half UPenn was able to sneak one more try pass the Dartmouth defense making the score 26 – 17. However, prior ot the blow of the final whistle, freshman Mattias Calvo ‘23 smashed his way into the try zone making the final score 33 – 17 after another well struck conversion. 

Despite playing two games this weekend, the Big Green displayed considerable talent and depth. Many young players such as Nico Carramera, Mattias Calvo, Nick Irwin and Quinn Heyneman put their hands up in a significant way. Both games provided the Dartmouth team with data points to both learn from. The boys are excited to take on Harvard next weekend for their homecoming opener. 

Go Big Green.