DRFC 53 - 5 Sam Houston

The Big Green traveled down to North Carolina this past weekend to compete in the first round of DIAA Championship play. After a rainy walk-through session on Friday afternoon, a sunny morning greeted the lads as they turned up Saturday to take on Sam Houston, who would be the DRFC’s first opponent in the Quarter Finals. A good deal of chatter on social media and in the rugby press preceded the match, but the boys struck early. A SHU scrum inside their own 22-meter line led to an intercept try from Freshman Jasper Green '22 under the sticks, as the back line fired downfield and pressured the opposition just a few minutes into after kickoff. Dartmouth struck again in short order off of their scrum down on the SHU 5 meter line after the Dartmouth’s defense pinned Sam Houston’s backs deep in the try zone. Skipper Struan Coleman ’19 popped the ball up to Luke Bienstock ’20 who barreled through two defenders for the second score of the match. A dominant line-out in scoring territory put freshman phenom Mike Weir ’22 within 10 meters, where he delivered a beautiful ball to Green, who came screaming down the wing for his second try of the afternoon. Another strong iteration of the set-piece, this time a scrum, put the boys back on the try-line just before the half. Andrew Skow ’21 smashed through the SHU forwards for the next try. (For those who’ve been following our Match Reports this Spring, reliable sources indicate that Skow took in some Game of Thrones battle scenes—seemingly the “Battle of the Bastards”—for inspiration this weekend.)

Shortly after half-time, Green secured the hat-trick off of another connection between Mason Koch ’20 and Coleman at a lineout in the near the try zone. Malcolm Robinson ’22 punched through the next one after some impressive fight through the contact point. Soon after, Parker Hall ’20 gathered an offload from Senior JM Seibert '19 for a big 40-meter run setting up Robinson for another trip into the try zone. A long series of phases put scrumhalf Jarret Lewis ’21 inside the 5, where he skirted in for the next try. Penalties and conversions from Pat Sheehy ’20 and Weir. Credit to SHU for a match well-played, despite some personnel constraints and injury. Final score: Dartmouth 53, SHU 5.